Didja notice the new site?

Updates brought to you directly from Team Madness!

Didja notice the new site?

Postby TheSwain » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:02 pm

Or do you just have the forums bookmarked?

Now that the site is reborn, we're back to work on game content. Today's meal: the hand-to-hand combat system. This is the meat of the game. If we can build a fun, flowing unarmed system, then weapons and guns can be scaffolded around it.

Do you guys have any favorite games with badass melee and unarmed systems? Shadows of Mordor, the Batman Arkham series, etc. I wanna know them ALL.
TheSwain
Auditor

Agency: Walled Sector

Re: Didja notice the new site?

Postby GameZone » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 pm

site iz gud

WHAT MADNESS COMBAT IS 99.99% GUN HOW DARE YOU BRING IN THIS MELEE CRAP

jk is good.

I don't remember playing any games with good melee systems. Most are just "generic swinging animations to use at close range." Probably the best (that I can remember) is Fistful of Frags, where you can throw melees, kick shit, and if you have brass knuckles, you can stun enemies by punching them if they're looking at you. And maybe SSBM, but enh.
GameZone
Savior

Agency: Mercenary

Postby TheSwain » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 am

Just took a look at Fistful of Frags, what an odd game. It looks a bit dated but the idea is there.

I guess I'm trying to think of how we can keep it Madness-y, and still have room for badass punch'n, kick'n, sword'n action like out of Devil May Cry or something (without getting too insane with that).
TheSwain
Auditor

Agency: Walled Sector

Postby GameZone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:40 am

TheSwain wrote:Just took a look at Fistful of Frags, what an odd game. It looks a bit dated but the idea is there.

pass the whiskey
GameZone
Savior

Postby FreeKill » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:47 am

TheSwain wrote:Just took a look at Fistful of Frags, what an odd game. It looks a bit dated but the idea is there.

I guess I'm trying to think of how we can keep it Madness-y, and still have room for badass punch'n, kick'n, sword'n action like out of Devil May Cry or something (without getting too insane with that).

It's not really the best or worst for a melee combat example, but take a look at Killing Floor and what little snipits of gameplay there are for the sequal. Might give you a good scope of violence to go for also.
FreeKill
Backers

Postby DarkTree » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:43 am

WHAT.
DarkTree
Backers

Agency: Funny Convos With F

Postby GameZone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:59 am

FreeKill wrote:

It's not really the best or worst for a melee combat example, but take a look at Killing Floor and what little snipits of gameplay there are for the sequal. Might give you a good scope of violence to go for also.

Ehhhh. It has a bunch of melee weapons (and a chainsaw that's underpowered), but it doesn't really have anything like Swain is talking about. I'd rather have Left 4 Dead 2 as an example.
GameZone
Savior

Postby Freego » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 pm

What about Final Fight?
I should make a Newgrounds account shouldn't I?
Freego
Backers

Agency: Project Nexus

Postby bobdude0987654321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:23 pm

The Arkham Games are actually an interesting idea... if you could implement something along those lines, with a cool counter system, while maintaining a little bit more complexity with it (like uppercuts or bodyslams or something), unarmed combat could be really fun.
mod, bruh
bobdude0987654321
ATP Engineer

Agency: The Higher Powers

Postby Xauclard » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 pm

I like Sleeping Dogs melee system. But that's just me.
Xauclard
Backers

Agency: Freelance

Next

Return to Development